Thursday, November 16, 2006

Yet Another 5.5 Random Things

5.5. This post is dedicated to all those who thought that my last post might have been a not-so-subtle cry for help. I can assure you it was no such thing. I had just finished teaching on confession for a class and we talked about that very thing. On a whim I decided to post it, not really considering whether or not people thought it was about me personally (though it is something I have learned in my life). Perhaps it was poor timing, coming right after my post on Ted Haggard. Sorry for any confusion, hope my parents weren't flipping out.

5. Little tidbit about the upcoming Patriots-Packers game at Green Bay this Sunday. The last time these two teams played a regular season game at Lambeau Field I was 16 days old.

4. Speaking of the Patriots, there is talk here in Boston that Tom Brady is playing hurt. While part of me thinks this is just the local media making excuses for their darling quarterback, they might be on to something. One of the crucial characteristics of Brady's play over the years has been his accurate arm, which has all but left him this year. I have a hard time believing that a man goes from being the best quarterback in football to struggling to hit an open receiver without some cause. An injury may explain it.

3. So the Red Sox forked over $51 million just to have the opportunity to talk with Japanese pitching star Daisuke Matsuzaka. The money doesn't really bother me, simply because they can make that back through increased revenue in Japan. But that only works if he's good (at worst), and that's tougher to tell. There isn't necessarily the greatest track record for pitchers coming over and doing well (anyone remember Hideki Irabu?). Hideo Nomo has had a decent career, but never topped his performance in his rookie year. Matsuzaka apparently dominated in the World Baseball Classic, which is encouraging. If he turns out to be as good as some folks think, this will no doubt strengthen a struggling pitching staff.

2. It's mid-November and I'm still wearing shorts to work (be jealous all you business casual suckers). This is weird. It makes me worry that we'll be punished with an even worse January (which is by far the worst month in Boston). I'll be doing my snow-shoveling stretches just in case.

1. There are some of you out there who are wicked smart, you know who you are. If that's you, do me a favor. Go check out Jeremy's Theories of Knowledge and Reality Series and explain it to me. I studied a little philosophy in undergrad and have picked up a few things along the way, but for the most part it's way over my head. In the meantime, I'll stick to my Greek grammar and baseball. Maybe I'll take a semester and go to Syracuse and audit his class. I promise I won't throw spit balls.

3 comments:

danny said...

Normally by Halloween or so I'm in long pants.

Bet you wish you could wear shorts to work.

Anonymous said...

I can wear shorts to work... kurt could get away with it, he's a lawyer out in the boonies.

Anonymous said...

Hi Danny.

Can you point me towards literal translations of the Bible and the Iliad and ancient Greek tragedies? I find reference in "The Muse Learns to Write", Eric Havelock (p. 95 - and the rest of the book), that suggests that translations of ancient texts is very, very, problematic indeed. Havelock's notion is that the preliterate 'wording' of the world is (necessarily) radically different from literacy's worlding; and that without the greatest of care it is really hard to get there from here.

Elsewhere - and I cannot now find it - I found reference to something humorously called Geek. (Maybe it's really called Geek, and the humour just ruefully incidental.) Geek is very literal tranlations of some ancient Greek texts, as aids for students of those texts.

I, myself, have always been interested in what words mean. That is, as entirely distinct from what any one word means. I find questions like, "What does saying say?" more than interesting, without being well equipped to answer them, although the above book is a huge clue. Another clue, given without any explanation at all, was a retired minister's memory that in one of his theological school's classes the instructor said that when the ancient potentate wanted to know the state of his empire, he sent out to learn the state of the word. After years, I now understand this - I imagine you do, too.

I'm at an age where I now encouter this topic by crossing paths more than by following them, and I feel lucky when I recognize one - it's easy to miss a path in the woods when you're crossing rather than following it. You appear to be firmly on it; a person could envy you that!

regards,
tim w.
Lowell, MA