Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Ein feste Burg ist unser Gott

While much of our country was celebrating Halloween by dressing up in costumes and contributing to the rise in the obesity rates, a handful of us celebrated October 31 as the 489th anniversary of Martin Luther nailing his 95 Theses on the door of the chapel in Wittenburg, Germany. This day is called "Reformation Day." It might not be the most glamorous holiday, but we managed to have fun with it in seminary. And by "have fun" I mean "joke about having school sponsored Reformation-inspired activities like 'Drown the Anabaptist' and 'Burn the Arminian at the Stake'". Just kidding, but it did give the Presbyterians an excuse to go out and drink (like they ever needed one before).

I love this day. To think that the course of the world was changed on October 31, 1517. I'd recommend that you watch the movie Luther to get an idea of Luther's life and motivations for what he did. I'm by no means a church historian, but from what I understand it's a fairly accurate portrayal given the time constraints. There's a few things about Luther I'm not particularly fond of, specifically a couple areas of his theology (like baptism and the Lord's Supper, two fairly important topics). However, when you get down to it, this is a man who zealously defended the gospel. Luther was convinced of the Truth, and was willing to stand up for it no matter the consequence.

I think this is why I was angered a couple months back as I followed a debate on a theology message board between two intelligent and educated men. I can't remember what exactly the debate was about, but I remember it not being a "crucial" issue. But, these two decided to invoke the language of Luther throughout, with such phrasings as "here I stand, I can do no other" appearing after their arguments (I've read that Luther didn't actually say those words, though he certainly could have). What angered me was how they took his words and cheapened them. Their debate was over some relatively minor detail, yet they (dare I say self-righteously) decided to use the language of Luther in order to give themselves the higher moral ground.

Luther, however, stood at the Diet of Worms with his life on the line (literally) and uttered these powerful words of faith:
"Unless I am convinced by Scripture and plain reason - I do not accept the authority of the popes and councils, for they have contradicted each other - my conscience is captive to the Word of God. I cannot and I will not recant anything for to go against conscience is neither right nor safe. God help me. Amen."


Here is a man who knew what was at stake, yet his love for the gospel and passion for the truth would not allow him to budge one inch. He wasn't fighting over what instruments to use in worship, maintenance budgets or the size of the pulpit. He saw corruption in the church and the perversion of the gospel and stood to fight against it. Let's not cheapen his sacrifice by using his words as rhetorical devices to win battles over non-essentials. He risked too much for that.

I guess this is why I love Reformation Day: It shows us what happens when someone is convinced of the truth of the gospel and is empowered by the Holy Spirit to stand against any attempt of its perversion. If I had half of Luther's courage and passion I'm convinced I would be a better minister of the gospel.

So, while this isn't technically a Hymn of the Week post, I have decided to post the lyrics to Luther's famous hymn, A Mighty Fortress Is Our God, inspired by Psalm 46. I enjoyed reading through it again last night and singing it quietly to myself at Panera. Let us not forget his closing lyrics, which Luther himself lived out as an example to us: The body they may kill, God's truth abideth still, His kingdom is forever!

A mighty fortress is our God,
A Bulwark never failing;
Our Helper He amid the flood
Of mortal ills prevailing;
For still our ancient Foe
Doth seek to work us woe;
His craft and pow'r are great,
And armed with cruel hate,
On earth is not his equal.

Did we in our own strength confide,
Our striving would be losing;
Were not the right Man on our side,
The Man of God's own choosing;
Dost ask who that may be:
Christ Jesus it is He;
Lord Sabbaoth His name,
From age to age the same,
And He must win the battle.

And though this world with devils filled,
Should threaten to undo us
We will not fear for God hath willed,
His truth to triumph through us
The Prince of Darkness grim,
We tremble not for him
His rage we can endure,
For lo his doom is sure
One little word shall fell him

That Word above all earthly pow'r,
No thanks to them abideth;
The Spirit and the gifts are ours
Through Him who with us sideth;
Let goods and kindred go,
This mortal life also;
The body they may kill;
God's truth abideth still,
His kingdom is forever!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"uhhh... what's a bulwark?"

Anonymous said...

I haven't been by for awhile, but glad to read this. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I ran across the original German version of "Ein' feste Burg" a couple of years ago and really enjoyed the original wording. It's nearly impossible to get a hymn to rhyme in a literal translation, so what we have is understandable. Here's my bumbling attempt to render the last verse rather literally:

The Word they will leave standing,
Yet give no thanks for it.
He is right beside us in the task,
With His Spirit and gifts.
And [should] they take our life,
Goods, honor, children, and wife,
Let [them] go there,
They have thereby no profit;
The Kingdom must remain ours.

danny said...

Isaac, were we in German together? I can't remember, but I remember translating this hymn (and singing it in German) and liking the original wording as well. Unfortunately, my German is so weak (aka, non-existent) that I won't even attempt it now.

Anonymous said...

No. I took Deutsch in high school, but it just keeps hanging around. Comes in handy now and then when you need to read something like Der Verfassungsentwurf des Ezekiel (Kap. 40-48) traditionsgeschichtlich untersucht for a Stuart paper.

Luther's German is pretty old school, so I'm not too sure about lines 2 and 8 in that translation.