Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Lead Us Back: Songs of Repentance

I’ve felt for some time that one aspect of biblical worship that is largely missing from our modern worship is songs of repentance & confession. In some cases that’s because we generally prefer our songs to be “uplifting”- we want people to connect with God, not feel bad about themselves. In other cases, it may be that we just don’t have that many good songs of repentance. I can understand that, song writers probably write songs of repentance, but those songs may be too personal for corporate worship.

The “uplifting” concern worries me, largely because such encouragement is ultimately shallow. We want the feel-good benefits of the grace of God, without acknowledging why that grace is needed in the first place. But without knowing how great our sin is, how can we ever know how great God’s grace is?

This morning I was listening to some songs from an album called Before the Throne, put out by Sojourn Community Church in Louisville, KY. You can download 4 of the songs from that album for free; I highly recommend you do so soon. I’ve grown to love these songs, as evidenced by the fact that “In the Shadow of Your Glorious Cross” is the most played song on my iTunes. In this case, though, it was the song “Lead Us Back” that was particularly powerful. It is a song of corporate repentance and lament over our sin. The lyrics are by Bobby Gilles and Brooks Ritter. This song has its finger on the pulse of the church, and poetically describes some of our shortcomings. I found myself convicted of the sins mentioned in this song; and convinced of my need for God’s grace. I hope you take the time to read these, listen to the song and reflect.

Falling down upon our knees
Sharing now in common shame
We have sought security
Not the cross that bears Your name
Fences guard our hearts and homes
Comfort sings a siren tune
We’re a valley of dry bones
Lead us back to life in You

Lord we fall upon our knees
We have shunned the weak and poor
Worshipped beauty, courted kings
And the things their gold affords
Prayed for those we’d like to know
Favor sings a siren tune
We’ve become a talent show
Lead us back to life in You

You have caused the blind to see
We have blinded him again
With our man-made laws and creeds
Eager, ready to condemn
Now we plead before Your throne
Power sings a siren tune
We’ve been throwing heavy stones
Lead us back to life in You

We’re a valley of dry bones
Lead us back to life in You
We’ve become a talent show
Lead us back to life in You
We’ve been throwing heavy stones
Lead us back to life in You

10 comments:

Matthew said...

Hey Danny,
Good word. You made me think of the song "Hands in the Air" by The Waiting. A great repentance song, but maybe not right for corporate settings. I think "Come Thou Fount" also has a great repentance verse, asking God to bind our wandering hearts to him. Hmmm... it is good to be forgiven!

Ken said...

I am not able to find the exact verse right now.. but all of Galations works. These kind of songs are designed to keep you broken and oh so dependent on God.

The verse I was looking for was the one about having to go through the pain of child birth again until the Christ is formed in you.

There is a point where everyone should become mature and not need forgiveness and not sin "daily".

These songs seem to promote the "if you aren't feeling guilty about something.. then you aren't saved" mentality.

When I do mess up.. I simply acknowledge the mistake and ask God to show me (most of the time I already know) where or what caused me to "sin". Then I repent "turn away from" the behavior that caused the problem.

I just see no use in prolonged or repeated begging for forgiveness.

Now fire away!!

Ken said...

That was the other part. If your continually walking with God.. why do you need to be led back to him.

Either you want God in your life daily or you don't. Simple choice.

Another great verse for this is Rev 3:16 So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to vomit you out of my mouth.
Yes I placed the word vomit in there because the word Spew in the Greek language is: ἐμέω
emeō
em-eh'-o
to vomit: - (will) spue.

Wow I love the bible.. so full of cool things.

danny said...

I'm leaving the country tomorrow morning, so I don't have a ton of time to get into this. But, I'll make a couple comments.

First of all, you seem to read an awful lot into the song. I see nothing in the song designed to make us feel guilty. It is a song that acknowledges sin, which you yourself seem to indicate is necessary. Why is a song of repentance wrong? How can it be more wrong that your confession & repentance before God?

Another problem with what you wrote is that you claim "either you want God in your life daily or you don't." The question here isn't over wanting, it's doing. You can't tell me everything you do all day long is glorifying to God. Look back through the song and see the sins it talks about. Are any of them applicable to your life? Do you ever, even if just once, seek security in something the world offers rather than in God? If so, you could sing this song.

I'm not sure what you were getting at with Rev 3:16, but I'm not sure it means what you think it means.

In the end, I wonder what picture of repentance looks closer to what Jesus give in His parable of the Pharisee and Publican in Luke 18: this songs's picture, or yours? I'm betting on the song.

danny said...

Oddly enough, you appeal to Galatians, a letter written to combat sin and call the church to turn away from their sin & false teaching.

Ken said...

Hey Danny,
Be blessed on your trip!! You said "The question here isn't over wanting, it's doing. You can't tell me everything you do all day long is glorifying to God."

Yet, everything I do is glorifying to God. My steps are ordered and I walk them out purposefully. Even if it is selecting Mug Root Beer at the soda fountain.

There is purpose in everything I do. I thought the verse from Rev. spoke for itself. God/ Jesus can not stand a luke warm person. Fall to one side of the fence or the other.

You also said "Do you ever, even if just once, seek security in something the world offers rather than in God?" Well, I have worked very hard on not falling back to or returning to Egypt (OT reference for you). That to me is sin. You should never rely on the worlds systems to get you by.

As far as Galations is concerned.. I read it as a call to the mature.. the Telios (in Greek).. those who do not return to petty "sin" like ways.. Those who have moved on from their infant (christian) ways!

There is a lot that people might consider sin.. which I don't. But returning to Egypt is a huge one.. maybe the only one that could get one into trouble.

As far as your reference to Luke.. I am very humble (which true humility is hearing and agreeing with God as to what truly is.. especially what He says about you). Being humble is not prostrating yourself at an altar and making a specticle of yourself.

Anyways, I hope your trip is awesome and you make a positive impact on the area's that you go to!!

Anonymous said...

Whether you choose to take Jesus' instructions on how to pray as a formula or as a prayer to be repeated verbatim... the words are "forgive us..." I would suppose Jesus to be mature (telios) if you will.

Anonymous said...

when you fail miserably, and cant find the words to say to God when you pray, you need a song of repentance to sing with all your heart. because sometimes, there are just no words...just no words.

Cassie said...

Danny, I love this song. Thank you so much for your thoughts on it.
We all fall short of the glory of God, If we claim to have no sin then we make Jesus out to be a lier. Admitting that you are not perfect, that you make mistakes doesn't make you luke warm, it makes you a human, one who is striving after God.
This may sound silly and used but if you are not working for the kingdom of God then Satan doesn't care if you call yourself a Christian. He won't tempt you or bother you he will let you live your cushy Christian life in the boat.
But if you are seeking God and furthering his kingdom you are going to be called out onto the water, sometimes we sink but that is when Jesus gets to catch us and we get to say Thank you, we get to realize how big our God is how perfect he is and how infinitely guilty we are. God is soooo good.

DMac said...

Great stuff, Danny. It took me a while to find this site, but well worth it.


As to the young person's post- Luther said that "The Christian life is one of constant repentance"

The older and hopefully more mature one gets, the more this saying is true- especially as we have the Holy Spirit to convict us (as well as empower, encourage, and teach us)

When Jesus told the Pharisees that he who is without sin can throw the first stone, theres a good reason why the oldest left first and the youngest last.

The young men had a limited understanding of the gravity of their sin and their need for forgiveness. The older men had lived long enough to know better and the difficulty of "practicing what you preach".

And although they kept the law to the last letter, their hearts were plagued with pride and selfishness, leading them to be completely blinded when Jesus was revealed before their own eyes.

Danny makes a good point- only the publican who realized what sin truly was- left with a right relationship with God, not the Leader who already believed he was good enough.

Its not about begging for forgiveness and feeling guilty -its about knowing your place as a child of God who was redeemed by the blood of Jesus Christ and will always be under "construction", as it were.

Along the same lines, the rich young ruler followed the law and was told he was still lacking by Jesus because his perspective still needed to be refined.

Give it time, amigo. :)