Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Book Review: Simple Spirituality

Thanks to Adrianna of IVP for the copy of this book for review.

Christopher Heuertz is the International Director for World Made Flesh, an organization dedicated to showing the love of Jesus through advocacy and ministering among the poorest people in the world. He is a man who lives out some of the most challenging verses of the Bible- those that call us to help those in need (not just feel bad for them) and sacrifice what we have on behalf of others. While not written for this purpose, I came away respecting Heuertz: he is a man who practices what he preaches. Too few have that honor.

There are 3 things to keep in mind while reading Simple Spirituality:

1. It is largely autobiographical. It is not a true autobiography, but contains stories of Heuertz's journey to "see God" and understand things the way they really are. Hence, the subtitle of the book, "Learning to See God in a Broken World."

2. It is a call to help the poor. Again, that is not the entire point of the book, but this comes across page after page. This book is a very real, very powerful call to take seriously Jesus' words and example.

3. It is a book on spiritual disciplines, 5 in particular: humility, community, simplicity, submission and brokenness. It is not a spiritual disciplines book in the classical sense, like Richard Foster's Celebration of Discipline, but it sees the disciplines in light of Heuertz's own story and the global (poor) community.

Keeping these 3 points in mind is helpful because it allows you to read the book for what it is, rather than hoping for something it is not. Thus, it is not a treatise on helping the poor, though it contains elements of that. It is not an in depth look into the biblical teachings of the disciplines, though that's in there too. And it is not a book about the life of Christopher Heuertz, though he writes time and time again of his own journey. These 3 elements are combined throughout this book, and I, for one, thought it was refreshing.

There were a few terrific points, some of which ought to go without saying, but alas, they need to be said anyway.

1. Heuertz notes that "As I learned to love GOd, my love was not motivated by fear or the threat of hell (not even the promise of paradise), but rather by the character of the One who is by nature lovable" (p36). It's true that much of American Christianity is based on the fear of hell or the hope of heaven, which is fine to an extent. But what about serving God because He is worthy to be served, not because of what He can do for us (or against us)? Isn't He worthy of being followed regardless of reward or punishment?

2. Throughout the book there is a simple (that's a big word for this book) following of Jesus' commands. If Jesus says "feed the poor", then, well, go and feed the poor!

3. "The worth of a person is directly related to the fact that he or she is created in the image of God" (p54). Thus, "our dignity comes from God, allowing our identity to be found in God" (p55).

4. "Many of us think that our personal geographical context justifies our disengagement from the hurt and pain of the rest of the world. ...fellow believers in the Sudan or Sri Lanka or Peru are as much an intrinsic part of the body of Christ as are the Methodists, Presbyterians, or Catholics down the street" (p81).

5. His chapter on simplicity was great; for instance, "essentially, simplicity is letting God truly be God, surrending to that in all areas of life as an act of submission to God and humanity" (p84).

6. On brokenness, he states, "We are broken when we recognize our utmost need for God and leave everything behind to have our needs met in God" (p129, italics original).

7. Finally, I'll quote one full paragraph from the chapter on community (p72). Next to it I wrote the word "OUCH."

While Christianity is fractured, the Muslims, who are famous for their brotherhood, take the appealing edge. Poor people know their need for community. They affirm their need for one another. They find strength in numbers. How can the church expect those on the margins to join it if the church can't offer them the one thing they know they need?

Heuertz is able to draw lessons from life and call us rich folk (yes, even us lower middle class Americans are rich in comparison to the majority of the church) without being condescending or manipulative. That is no small feat, given the tendency of many to use guilt trips in attempt to spur God's people into action. I think Heuertz is able to accomplish this because his story is about he came to learn these lessons. You get the sense that he simply wants the reader to learn the lessons he has learned.

I did have a few questions throughout the book that weren't answered, though I suppose that's bound to happen.

He calls the church to help the poor, citing Jesus' words and example. But, do they (Word Made Flesh, his organization) call the poor to "go and sin no more"? Heuertz doesn't answer this, but I'll admit this isn't the point of the book. But still, you can cure an idolatrous leper of his leprosy, but his greatest sickness remains: his idolatry.

Who are the "children of God" (p55)? Who makes up "Christ's body" (p140)? He often blends Christians and non-Christians into these definitions, yet I'm not sure, biblically speaking, we can include non-Christians into these terms. Certainly not "Christ's body", but I'm not even sure the Bible ever refers to non-Christians as "children of God." I may be wrong, and I'm willing to have someone point examples out to me, but that particular term seems to be reserved for those who are in the covenant people of God. With that being said, I'm not sure it matters too much when it comes to who we help- we're called to help whoever is in need (see the parable of the good samaritan). But it's a question worth asking.

Both of these questions are not answered, and I can't expect them to be, I suppose. This is especially true of the first question; this book is not about the practices of Word Made Flesh, so I can't wait around for him to tell me about how his organization handles such situations. But, if I ever have the pleasure of talking with Chris Heuertz over a cup of coffee, I'll ask him.

Finally, I'll point out that the Bible teacher in me would cringe periodically with his "what is the ___ (Goliath, 5 stones, etc) in your life?" style of hermeneutics.

This book was interesting to read on a plane ride to Peru, where I went on a short trip to help a poor town, and a church in that town, in the middle of the Andes Mountains. It was a helpful reminder that the comforts and treasures of our culture are fleeting and unnecessary. It was a reminder that those I was travelling to help are no less important than I am, not less made in the image of God.

If you're looking for a book that teaches you about the classic spiritual disciplines, then maybe you should go with Foster's book. If you're looking for a biblical teaching on possessions and money, I'd recommend Craig Blomberg's Neither Poverty Nor Riches. But if you want a book that combines some of both, Simple Spirituality is a great choice. It's an insightful look at how we can approach and learn the disciplines from the perspective of helping those in need, wherever they are.

4 comments:

Steve said...

Great review, Danny. I'll have to check that book out. Sounds like, as you mentioned, this is a writer whose evidence for the power of the gospel among the poor is autobiographical. I always prefer to read those kinds of books, as opposed to theory-based works. Shane Claiborne's "The Irresistible Revolution" was like that ... you know, the "I know the gospel works because I've seen it with my own eyes" factor.

As to your questions after reading the book, the first one -- does he tell people to "go and sin no more" -- is a good one. And a common one. I would initially respond with another question: to whom did Jesus say "go and sin no more?" Was he saying it to everyone he healed, every beggar he sat with, every widow he encouraged? From the New Testament, we just don't know. The one instance we do have is when the woman is caught in adultery, and her sin is pretty much out on the table at that point. I would imagine that Jesus' taking time to sit with, heal, and encourage the poor made many of them follow him (quite literally) ... words unnecessary.

(I wonder if that's why the gospel accounts of Jesus out "doing ministry" primarily involve his actions of mercy, while the words were often left to his disciples ... something to ponder)

Anyway, I'd love to hear your thoughts. Again, great review. Miss seeing you, brother!

danny said...

Thanks for stopping by, Steve. I actually thought of you while reading this, I think you'd like it.

My use of "go and sin no more" was representative, of course. I'm not as concerned with whether or not he actually uses those words, or others like them. If someone repents of their idolatry without having been told to do so, but rather by the love shown them in the name of Jesus, that's just as good.

My greater concern is the practical implications of his idea that we ought to act out of love motivated by God Himself. If someone is worshipping an idol (I use that example because he mentions being in a home where Hindu idols were worshipped), then they are not giving the glory due the One who worthy of our lives.

To put it another way, more common than "go and sin no more" is "follow me"- the call to discipleship. Does Word Made Flesh call people to leave behind their idols and follow Jesus? That's my question. I'm not talking about an altar call, I'm talking about a real demonstration, through word and deed, that Jesus has all authority in heaven and on earth and is alone worthy of disciples.

Again, I'll point out that this was not the point of the book, so I'm not holding it against him in any way. But I'm glad I included it in my post, because it's an interesting point of discussion. I invite your feedback.

When I get back from my next trip, we ought to get together. ...Haven't we said that before?

Anonymous said...

Excellent anaylsis - overview and with just enough detail.

Makes me suspect that I'm speaking to a fellow English major!

danny said...

Paul, I'll definitely take that as a compliment. But no, I never was an English major. In fact, I was probably a better writer at 20 than I am today. Writing exegesis papers in seminary may help one's grammar, but your writing style goes out the window. But thanks for the compliment, and thanks for stopping by.