Tuesday, April 29, 2008

free books & another update

A week ago I had a seemingly random post about the new Reader's Hebrew Bible, and made the statement that I'll write a review if I receive a free copy. That was because there was an offer on Between Two Worlds (Justin Taylor's blog) that if anyone would post about the Reader's Hebrew Bible, promise to write a review and e-mail some guy named Chris at Zondervan- and be one of the first 5 people to do all this- you'd get a free copy. I was the 3rd person. So, Chris at Zondervan agreed to send me a free copy for me to review.

He also mentioned that he might be able to send me other books as well under the same agreement- that I'd review them. So, I may have mentioned in passing that I was really interested in Bruce Waltke's new book, An Old Testament Theology. Well, both books came in the mail today! So, expect reviews of each of these. I'll do the RHB first, since that was the original deal, Waltke's book will probably take a little bit longer, but I am looking forward to reading it. The great part is that I now have an excuse to read books, free ones!

While I'm here, I'd like to point out that I added a new feature to the blog of danny, Joshua Project's Unreached People of the Day. The Joshua Project is an organization that attempts to collect information about people groups around the world and their level of reachedness (I just made up that word). I don't know if their definition of "people group" and "reached" are necessarily the perfect ones, but I like how they are at least trying to bring "definition to the unfinished task" (their words). I hope that maybe you'll take a few moments to pray for each people group as you see them here. May the gospel be preached to all nations in our lifetime!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Dude, that is excellent. I've been dying to read Waltke's OT Theology book so I look forward to the review.

danny said...

Well, don't hold your breath. =)

My schedule opens up a bit in June, unfortunately I think I'm quickly beginning to fill it since I keep thinking it's open. But I'll definitely be working on it over time. I'm thinking I may end up posting a couple reviews of the different sections of the book.

Anonymous said...

Chris at Zondervan is awesome! He sent me a box of free books too!

danny said...

Yeah, this reviewing gig is the best. I'm not sure how you managed to make so many contacts with publishers, but I'm jealous. Someday you must share your secrets.

Anonymous said...

Here's my secret. Don't tell anyone. ;-)

danny said...

I've thought about contacting more publishers, but I only want to do so if I can actually get around to giving each book a thorough reading in order to review it. I only have so much time in the day. And I don't want to spend all my free time reading books just to review (I am newly married, after all).

Anonymous said...

I understand completely (and congrats!) I work from home and have all day to sit around and read, so it works out nicely for me. :-)