Tuesday, September 05, 2006

laundry, guest blogging, mirrors & smoke, blogprops

Laundry
I was supposed to do some laundry tonight, but I really wanted to sit down and write this (not this part, but the upcoming blogprops). So, instead of doing laundry, I went out and bought some more boxers. That's just as good.

Guest Blogging
I had the pleasure of guest blogging over at Oh Me of Little Faith. I was one of a series of guest bloggers on the topic of community, I recommend you check them all out.

Mirrors & Smoke
I posted last week about a music video I saw for the new Jars of Clay song "Mirrors & Smoke" (I would link to it, but I want to make you scroll down and pass my posts in between). What I did not know at that time is that this is not the video the band came up with, but rather a video done by a fan. Whoever this person is, well, he (or she, I shouldn't assume) is possibly the coolest person who has ever lived. By the way, the more I listen to this song, the better it gets. Really well written, in my opinion.

Blogprops
Last week my roommate (Jonathan, aka JP) and I moved across the city, which might as well be across the state (at least when it comes to moving in Boston). This year's move was far more successful and less frustrating than last year's move (maybe someday I'll get Jonathan to write about the living hell that was Moving Day '05). This would not have been possible if not for some wonderful friends, to whom we owe a great debt. I want to thank them publicly, or at least semi-publicly.

Our friend Dave let us borrow one of his work trucks on Thursday night, which enabled us to cut down the number of trips back and forth. It also allowed me the adventure of driving a vehicle that is far bigger than what I am used to (I had no problems, for those wondering). Dave also loaned another truck the following night to a couple damsels in distress (mentioned in my guest blog noted above). Dave is simply a quality guy.

A nice fella named Jeff got far more than he bargained for. He thought that we were moving a mile or two away, he had no idea we were going across the city. Mind you, I figured he knew, but I'm not that smart. I didn't account for the fact that in the past couples months he has planned a wedding, got married and went on his honeymoon. I suppose keeping up with Danny's comings and goings wasn't on the top of his priority list, and I can't blame him at all. Either way, Jeff was awesome, he loaded up some boxes, tied a queen size mattress/box spring (Jonathan's, not mine) to the top of his SUV and helped us out. Thanks, Jeff.

Coming up huge for us was our good friend, Neil. Neil traded vehicles with me for a day and a half, he took my car (broken bumper and all), we took his pickup. Without this there is no way we would have been able to move our stuff. The bottom line is that Neil sacrificed a lot to help us out, and I am eternally grateful (as is Jonathan, I imagine). This is why Neil is one of my favorite people in the world. I apologized and thanked him countless times and he would simply reply "this is what it means to live in community." He has earned the right not to be made fun of for his manpris for at least a week.

I wasn't there, but Steve Holt helped us move some stuff into our apartment. This is no easy task, since we live on the 3rd floor and have a steep, windy staircase (quite common in this old city of ours). We barely know Steve, so him volunteering is greatly appreciated.

Finally, the biggest blogprops go out to Matt and Pam, who have modeled love and patience this past week. Here is a catalog of what they have done for us in the last week (and I hope I'm not leaving anything out): they helped us move items on Wednesday night into the apartment, including our couch, which barely fit up the stairs; they let us move items into their apartment for temporary storage on Thursday afternoon (some of them are still there, unfortunately); they helped us move stuff in on Thursday night (when I was still at our old place); they drove to our old apartment that night and helped us load up two trucks and their car; they went back to our new place and helped us move stuff in (staying up well past midnight, even though Matt had to go to work in the morning); they let us stay at their place starting Thursday night until tonight; they made breakfast for us (Swedish Pancakes, Neave style); Pam made grilled cheese (with bacon) tonight for my dinner, even though I explicitly told her not to, because that's the kind of godly woman she is; they have not uttered a single word of complaint despite the fact that we have mooched off them like leaches, although Pam almost threw up in her mouth when I wore my "lounging around the house" clothes. I think that's most of it, though I'm sure there are things I've left out. There really isn't a way we can say "thank you" strongly enough to Matt & Pam, certainly not with some stupid "blogprop."

Thanks to everyone who helped us move, may God bless you greatly for your sacrifice. You helped make a miserable time more bearable.

6 comments:

Andrew said...

Wait....you know a steve holt? steve holt! it doesn't make sense unless you've seen arrested development.

Neave said...

Thanks for the props, Danny. You give us way too much credit. Perhaps you don't get it that we really love to do this sort of thing. In a "gifts test," Hospitality was at the top of both Matt and mine.. We like it a lot. So really, I would like to thank YOU guys for letting us do what we love. Seriously, people don't mooch off of each other enough. Oh, and for clarification's sake, my body made NO gagging reflex at all by your lounging outfit. Matt, however, was trembling in fear at the sight of your monstrous biceps.
-P

Anonymous said...

I must agree with Danny... The Neaves are awesome. I also must agree with Matt. That's one scary bicep. Hurk! Sorry I wasn't able to help out. See you folks tonight!

Anonymous said...

I would also like to throw some props to each of those people who helped us. You are all a Godsend. Thank you.

Matt and Pam, thanks for taking us in like your own kids. Dinner last night was awesome, and the cookies are mighty tasty.

As for the lounge clothes, at least they're not my tennis shorts boxers that apparently made Pam wince.

Anonymous said...

I'm laughing out loud here in Panera at your sadly necessary and funny abuse of poor Matt and Pam. And how they don't mind. Hope stuff in your place is going a lot better.

danny said...

You know Kurt, if you could've stayed, you too could possibly be mooching off Matt & Pam. Alas, you have avoided the guilt of Jonathan and me and get to laugh instead. Have a cinnamon crunch bagel, just for me.