Saturday, August 12, 2006

Hymn of the Week: Jesus with Thy Church Abide

It's actually been two weeks since my last Hymn of the Week, sorry about that. I recently thought to myself, "you know, we don't sing enough songs that prominently feature the word 'beseech.'" Well, that offense is corrected this fine morning with our latest installment, "Jesus with Thy Church Abide" by Thomas Pollock. This is probably not too well known, which is rather unfortunate. Ponder the lyrics for a while:

Jesus, with Thy church abide;
Be her savior, Lord, and Guide,
While on earth her faith is tried:
We beseech Thee, hear us,
We beseech Thee, hear us.

Keep her life and doctrine pure;
Grant her patience to endure,
Trusting in Thy promise sure:
We beseech Thee, hear us,
We beseech Thee, hear us.

May she one in doctrine be,
One in truth and charity,
Winning all to faith in Thee:
We beseech Thee, hear us,
We beseech Thee, hear us.

May she guide the poor and blind,
Seek the lost until she find
And the brokenhearted bind:
We beseech Thee, hear us,
We beseech Thee, hear us.

As you can see, this is a prayer for the Church. I find myself appreciating and loving the Church as I get older (not that I'm all that old, right?). For me, a major change in my attitude was my trip to Sri Lanka in '05 where I got to serve the Body of Christ in need. It helped me to see God's people beyond what I know here and realize the urgent need to cry out to God on their behalf. I've grown in my love for the Church and the love of the Church's Head.

Notice the focus on the role of the Church in this hymn. There is an emphasis on doctrine, evangelism and healing the hurting. When was the last time you sung about the Church's doctrine? Also take note of the character of the Church. There's an emphasis on unity and endurance, the former is obviously lacking and the latter probably is as well (although that's harder to measure, I suppose). Most importantly, note that these things are not accomplished through our own strength, but the the One who abides with His people.

When I think of this hymn I ask myself a few questions. Am I praying for the Church (beyond my own local fellowship)? Do I identify myself with my brothers and sisters throughout the ages and all over the world? Do I rejoice with her? Do I mourn with her? Do I recognize the need to intercede on her behalf?

May I suggest something for us to do? Use this hymn as a springboard prayer for the body of Christ. Learn to love the Church as Christ does. Many within the Church have taken a negative attitude towards her, may that never be true of us! Let yourself be known as someone who loves the Church and faithfully prays on her behalf.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

This is a really awesome hymn, Danny. I've never heard it (or read it) before. I do love how the focus is on Jesus, that He and His help is the answer to needs of His church.

I especially like the second verse and the thought that we should look to Him in trust to keep the church in the Word and on the right track. I'm thinking of when we hear doctrines that are slightly off or preachers who could use a little more study, and our first response is to criticize (ok...that's MY first response...).

But how often do I take that concern to Jesus, who is the Head of His own body, and ask Him to intervene and take corrective measures? So often, if I were to do so, a huge part of the problem would immediately be fixed, that being my attitude, which can only be making matters worse.

Anyway, praying for the Church...that's just one swell idea.

Anonymous said...

Way to pull out a winner, Danny! I've been digging this song since I first heard it many a year ago. The melody (RUF) is one of Chris Miner's better ones, in my opinion. You really can't go wrong with C minor, as far as I'm concerned.

I've always been particularly interested in how the participle in the third line of the third verse functions ("Winning all to faith in Thee"). One might be inclined to classify it as a participle of attendant circumstance, but I wonder whether the author didn't intend some logical link between the Church's unity in doctrine and love (cf. churches' commendations for their "faith" and "love" in the opening of most Pauline letters) and her successful evangelistic mission. Indeed, as Ryan referenced, John 17:21 makes the world's believing in Jesus' divine identity the intended result [ινα] of Christian unity. So there really is a missiological reason for unity: Jonathan Edwards was right all along.

Anonymous said...

I have to agree that beseech is a fun word to say. I think its time for an update.

bmarchio said...

This tune actually reminds me of the song "We Beseech Thee" from the Schwartz musical "Godspell." Said tune is much more 70's disco, but still worth a listen if you're able. I would venture to guess that Schwartz borrowed from they hymn.

danny said...

It's good to see B-March joining the nerd fray. Well done, my friend.

Isaac, this is why I miss you. You got me thinking about the participle, I suppose there are a couple options. As you mentioned, the attendant circumstance is a possibility. It's almost certainly not a means (unity coming by winning people to Christ is an interesting thought, but doubtful it was intended here).

You mention result, that is, the winning of souls as a result of doctrinal unity. I would also propose the participle serving a telic function, that is, doctrinal unity for the purpose of winning souls. What do you think?

Doesn't this remind you of the days sitting around the lunch table?

Bruce, you're right, it is about time to update this blog. Sorry for the delay.

Anonymous said...

13 days since your last post, and three days since you acknowledged you needed to update... and yet I'm left with nothing new to read.