Friday, August 04, 2006

free advertisement for friends

I've been privileged to have a few friends give me props and send some traffic my way, so I figured I'd return the favor. But, I ran into a problem- if I plug some blogs I will inevitably leave someone out, and they'll have their feelings hurt and I'll end up having to spring for some singing telegram in order to regain their favor. So, I decided I would dedicate an entire post to my friends' blogs, I encourage you to check them out. If I forgot you, I'm sorry. Get over it.

Sarah is a good friend from seminary. She writes some really great stuff, the problem is that she posts about once every 10 years or so. In fact, she posts most often when she's overseas. So pray she'll go on more mission trips. When she writes, it's the kind of stuff you could read for your morning devotionals. Good stuff.

Kurt can be one of the most entertaining bloggers when he isn't taking the bar (he just graduated from Harvard Law School, hence the "hls" in his address). Unfortunately, he often likes to write about getting a tan, but he's quite capable of pulling out some gems. Exhibit A (see, court room language): his three-part review of season one of Thunder Cats is pure genius. Oh yeah, and there was the time his girlfriend posted a comment referring to him as "cute and cuddly" (paraphrase), which earned him a tremendous amount of public mocking (mostly by yours truly). Good times were had by all.

Matt & Pam Neave are two of my favorite people in the world. You know those couples that never make you feel like the 3rd wheel? That's Matt & Pam. Anyway, their blog has all sorts of pictures, which makes it easy for simple folk like myself to read. I'll soon be neighbors with them, but my picture better not end up posted on the World Wide Web.

Bruce & Morgan are clearly the coolest of my friends, because they have an entire message board. Actually, Bruce has an entire message board, Morgan rarely makes an appearance (apparently being pregnant and a nurse takes up a lot of energy). Here you'll find talk about their coming baby, their first, who will be named Polycarp. Also, you can link to their site and watch the video of Bruce's proposal. WARNING: it's pretty gross, a lot of hugging and kissing. I'm convinced Bruce did this purely to make his kids (the aforementioned Polycarp and, in the future, Perpetua) squirm someday.

Have you ever wondered what a liberal MIT grad from Jersey is thinking? Me neither. But, Andrew is defintely worth a read. I mean, the site's description is "a blog to argue with danny", so that's got to count for something. In fact, the impetus for starting his site was to argue with my assessment of Bruce Springsteen (check out the first sentence of his first post). The best thing to come out of Jersey since toxic fumes and big hair.

I've mentioned him before, but Jeremy, my second cousin, has a high-quality blog. He's one of those philosophy types, so be prepared. A wide variety of topics are covered here: biblical commentaries, racial issues, politics, and so on. And he has more links that anyone would know what to do with. I don't know him as well as the other folks I'm mentioning, but he gets a pass because we're related.

In the college friend category, my old roommate A-Rock is one of those musical-musings types. If you're a big fan of indie music, I'm sure you'll enjoy reading his album reviews. Oh, and I think I'm the only person who still calls him "A-Rock." Anyway, it's been fun checking out his blog, even though I'm not sure he knows I read it. I've realized recently how much I miss this guy.

Winning the prize for fewest posts (currently with a grand total of one) is another college buddy, who evidently has decided to be known purely by his last name, Maston. He and I would discuss exegesis, Biblical languages, theology, etc, for hours in college. In fact, I credit much of my biblical understanding to those conversations working through issues, bouncing ideas off each other. He just started his blog, inspired by his upcoming move to Scotland to work on a PhD in New Testament.

I've recently discovered the blog of Addie, wife of my college friend Greenbow. It almost makes me miss life in Missouri. Not quite, but almost. Apparently their dogs play an important role in their life. But what else should we expect from folks who live in rural Missouri?

I'd like to finish up my mentioning a few folks who really need a blog:

My roommate, Jonathan. Smart. Funny. Lady killer. That's a recipe for success in life and in the blogosphere.

Seminary buddy, Ryan. He should name it "Not Really a Presbyterian" or "Pretend Presbyterian." Anyway, he'll probably be the first pastor turned president (first that I'm aware of, at any rate), so it'd be cool if we could say "hey, I used to read his blog back in the day."

My dad. Actually, I wish I had more time, I'd convince my dad to co-blog with me about sports. Honestly, if you transcribed one of my conversations with my father about sports you'd end up with better stuff than what you hear on sports radio or read on the internet. He's one of the few people I (sometimes) defer to when talking sports.

Anyway, thank you for humoring me. I love my friends, and like to brag about them periodically. Check them out if you get the chance. You know, like when you're bored at work or something (*cough*Matt*cough*).

7 comments:

Sarah said...

Wow, I feel so honored that I was mentioned first. Is it ok that I conclude I'm special? And I have a great appreciation for the html links, since I was "there" when they were created. Nice work, Danny. I had a feeling you were as good as my brother. :)

Sarah said...

You have my vote, Ryan - Presbyterian or not!

danny said...

Sarah, indeed you are special. Your position on this post has nothing to do with the fact that I was chatting with you when I started it...

Ryan, politicians have found their way out of past indiscretions (perceived or reall) many times. So the real question is: what is the theological equivalent of "I didn't inhale"?

danny said...

Oops, Ryan, maybe I shouldn't have put my blog address below my signature when I wrote your letter of recommendation.

(For the record, that isn't true, I just thought it would be funny)

Anonymous said...

are you trying to say that i'm good enough, smart enough, funny enough, handsome enough, and gosh darn it, you like me?

thanks for the props.

Anonymous said...

I'd read JP's blog.

This post kept making me laugh. Especially the reference to the "cute and cuddly" line that you pretty much fabricated and then attributed to Michelle, which many people still use to mock her. That, my friend, was genius.

danny said...

Kurt, "fabricated" is a little strong. "Interpreted" is more like it. I mean, she may as well said "cute and cuddly" the way she was talking up her precious little sweetheart. XOXOXOXO