Wednesday, July 12, 2006

two Pierces in one blogosphere?

I know, I know, two posts in one day! Surely you're thinking, "Danny, there's no way you have much of interest to say!" And more often that not you'd be right. However, this time, I feel two posts in a day is justified.

Back in college I ran into the website of a guy named Jeremy Pierce. Jeremy happens to be my second cousin, more commonly known as my paternal grandfather's brother's grandson. He was then a bright young Ph.D. student at Syracuse. Now, he is a bright not-as-young Ph.D. student at Syracuse (according to the blog of his wife, Samantha, whom I've never met, he's on his 9th year, which means he must have 3 Ph.D.'s by now, right?). I'm not sure if I've ever met Jeremy, if I did I was probably 10 years old or so, though I do remember meeting people from his family. The truth is that I couldn't pick him out of a police lineup.

A few months ago I decided to look up his old website to see what he was up to, and somehow eventually ended up on his blog. I've become a big fan, only too timid to leave comments, except for a recent one. That comment, on a thread about split infinitives (which should be avoided, sorry, Jeremy), led him to check out my blog, which led him to link to a post of mine (the one about being called a "Follower of Jesus" or a "Christian"), which then led to some new people reading my blog, which then led me to decide that I need to inform my friends of his fine blogging skills. See, the connection is quite clear.

So, I'm telling all three of my readers to check out Jeremy's blog, just click on the title of this post and you'll get there. It's a bit different than mine, I will warn you. He (and his readers) are far more well-spoken, well-read and all-around more intelligent than I am (but I'm betting I would whip all of them in a baseball trivia contest). He is a philosophy student, so you get all sorts of philosophical musings to chew on (again, way above my head). He also posts on racial issues (extremely interesting), ethical dilemnas, politics, Biblical thoughts, and the occasional randomly entertaining topic. However, I'm still waiting for him to write about his research on our family lineage.

Jeremy is also a man after my own heart, posting on Biblical commentaries, including a recent review of Leviticus commentaries. In fact, his exchange with John Glynn (author of Commentary & Reference Survey) has been a delight for me to read. I've been inspired to resurrect the dormant idea of writing about my favorite Biblical commentaries (in effort to alienate all but the nerdiest of my readers).

Anyway, I'm glad I've run across his path once again, and someday maybe I'll manage to work my way up to Syracuse to meet Jeremy, Samantha and the kids. He is, after all, my mother's mother-in-law's brother-in-law's grandson.

3 comments:

Jeremy Pierce said...

I do intend to get that genealogy stuff posted soon. I emailed it to my brothers because I was taking so long to get it in postable format, and then I forgot that I'd told you I was going to post it.

danny said...

I guess you didn't count on an accountability partner in this.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.