Thursday, May 08, 2008

Is it a compliment? Episode IV

Welcome to the newest installment of Is it a compliment? (the most popular game show in the blogosphere), where we look at a statement that someone directed towards me which may or may not be a compliment. Actually, in this case, it's not a statement but rather an action.

I have been teaching a class in church since September, but the other night I mentioned to my class that it would be the last night of the year that I'd be teaching.

One person in the class began to clap.

This is your chance to weigh in. Should I take offense? Or is it a compliment?

6 comments:

Ken said...

Definitely take offense!! Whether it was for the one person who was grateful that your class was finally over. Or, take offense at the others who obviously didn't think your class was worthy of applause. Either way an offense happened!!

Man I'm good!! Just call me "uplifter of souls"! Whatever was the outcome (or do you not reveal them) with your hair question (I believe your hair was last up for debate)? If not consider this an offense towards your hair!! Brillo head! Or, is that to direct?

Anyways, I hope to start a "quality" conversation with my remarks. Enjoy!!

danny said...

Now that's a creative way to look at it, well done.

The hair one is a funny story, I'll tell you another time.

bmarchio said...

I think it's probably best to take offense and assume malicious intent as a default stance. I'd make your last class an exercise in anathematizing this individual. Resort to childish name-calling if necessary.

Actually, I'm betting that the clapping was compliment-neutral. They're just happy to get their Tuesday nights back.

danny said...

See, the "happy to have their Tuesday nights back" option would be more likely if there were no more classes. However, we still have 3 weeks to go, but none of those are taught by me. Hence the potential offense.

Per your suggestion, I have just changed my default setting.

malwitz said...

i just want to be on record as saying: i did not clap because i was running through the debate in my head: "how can i best offend danny, clap or boo?" Luckily someone stepped up to the plate and did the offending for me. This week I'll have my "Trade Danny" sign all ready.

danny said...

Just please don't start a "Lisa's better" chant.