Saturday, January 26, 2008

results from my theology quiz

I rarely take quizzes such as these, but for some reason I did today. I'm not all that surprised that I scored highest in the "Wesleyan" category, since John Wesley happens to be one of my favorites. On the other hand, I have almost nothing in common with modern Methodists. Interestingly enough, I grew up in a charismatic church, and currently attend a church that would fall under that general category, yet didn't score very high in that department. I think the questions tended to fall under the category of older pentecostalism (importance of speaking in tongues, etc), so I guess that's why I scored lower.

I'm very surprised I scored so high on the Emergent/Postmodern category. I guess it's because I see the importance of what some might call "social action", though I'd probably approach it differently than these groups. And I place far less emphasis on personal experience than your normal postmodern. In fact, I'd have more in common with Reformed groups than this one. At any rate, these types of quizzes have almost no room for nuance, and for someone who insists on nuance, I should probably just stay away.



What's your theological worldview?
created with QuizFarm.com
You scored as Evangelical Holiness/Wesleyan

You are an evangelical in the Wesleyan tradition. You believe that God's grace enables you to choose to believe in him, even though you yourself are totally depraved. The gift of the Holy Spirit gives you assurance of your salvation, and he also enables you to live the life of obedience to which God has called us. You are influenced heavly by John Wesley and the Methodists.


Evangelical Holiness/Wesleyan


96%

Emergent/Postmodern


61%

Neo orthodox


57%

Fundamentalist


50%

Reformed Evangelical


43%

Charismatic/Pentecostal


32%

Classical Liberal


29%

Roman Catholic


29%

Modern Liberal


11%


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't resist. I had absurd results:

Evangelical Holiness/Wesleyan: 86%
Reformed Evangelical: 71%
Neo-orthodox: 64%
Emergent/Postmodern: 64%
Fundamentalist: 64%
Roman Catholic: 39%
Classic Liberal: 36%
Charismatic/Pentecostal: 21%
Modern Liberal: 11%

How on earth can I be just as likely to turn out Neo-orthodox, Emergent, or Fundamentalist? Answer: I went to seminary.

danny said...

You always were one of the least reformed calvinists I've ever met. Then again, I'm one of the most reformed arminians you'll ever meet, so maybe we have something in common.

Seeing your results, I'm anticipating the arrival of your first son Wesley Calvin Barth McLaren Machen. Rolls right off the tongue.

Nikki said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

"One of the least reformed calvinists [you]'ve ever met," eh? That may honestly be one of the best compliments I've ever received, theologically speaking.

For a name, though, I think I prefer Bruce John-Karl William.