Wednesday, January 17, 2007

where I come from

I hope you don't mind if I interrupt my series of boring football posts to ask you to read something I found absolutely fascinating. I've mentioned Jeremy's blog (and I'm sure you'll remember that Jeremy is my second cousin) a few times, but today he posted something completely different from what I've thrown in your direction before.

If genealogies interest you at all (or even if they don't), take a look at his latest post, entitled Pierce Ancestry, and see a bit of my family background. And by "a bit" I mean a whole lot. We've got Roman Emperors, a Catholic saint, a Shakespearean character, Charlemagne, soldiers, but no baseball players (as far as I know). It's fascinating. Like Jeremy, I don't think it means too much if you've got wonderful people or scoundrels in your bloodline, it doesn't really affect today much. But it is interesting to see how it works out.

Jeremy and I start crossing paths with our great-grandfather, Walter R. Pierce (b. 1876). His son, Walter (b. 1909) was my grandfather, who fathered my father, Donald (b. 1948- yeah, I just told everyone how old my father is, sorry pops). This genealogy is patrilineal, so it doesn't follow the women (though a few of note sneak in), that would be an interesting study as well. But, for now we'll give poor Jeremy a break, he's a busy man.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't remember any Shakespearean actors. There are some real-life people Shakespeare used in his plays, including Duncan from Macbeth, Hotspur from Henry IV, and I'm sure several of the kings. I'm also fairly sure that it's one of these Lords of Percy who appears in Le Morte de Arthus as the King of Northumberland.

danny said...

Ah,I misread what you wrote in your post. My bad. I can change that, thanks to the wonderful world of electronic publishing.

malwitz said...

where i come from its cornbread and chicken