Thursday, December 28, 2006

Is it a compliment? Episode II

Welcome back to "Is it a compliment?" where we give you a statement that someone has recently said to Danny and you try to tell if it's a compliment. We'd like to give special mention to this week's runner-up, one of Danny's coworkers who said to him "You're only 27! I didn't think it was possible to get that ugly in only 27 years!"

This episode's potential compliment will probably reveal more about your take on a certain popular Christian book than anything else. Without further ado, let's play!

"You're so wild at heart."

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

So here's a context I'm imagining for how "You're only 27! I didn't think it was possible to get that ugly in only 27 years!" is a not even close to an insult (to you anyway). You're discussing someone very ugly. You say something about what it would be like if you were that ugly. Then the coworker responds with that statement.

I'm sure that's not how it went, but it does show how context is everything. I do think it sounds like an insult when it's completely out of context.

I won't touch the "wild at heart" one.

Anonymous said...

I didn't like the book so I would take it as an insult. I would imagine it was said as a compliment though.

Ken said...

This is way to vague for the casual reader.. please clue me in a little more!! I obviously have NOOOO clue what book you are referencing!!

danny said...

Ken, see this:Wild at Heart by John Eldredge

Anonymous said...

I don't know who said that to you, but I know if you said that to me it would NOT be a compliment.

Anonymous said...

All I have to say is the book is listed with the following "Key Phrases":
masculine journey, masculine heart, masculine soul, William Wallace, Holy Spirit, Indiana Jones...

So what is so bad about that?
Who doesn't want to be Indiana Jones? And didn't William Wallace kick some serious butt?

I bet this compliment came from a girl...if so- then take it as one!

danny said...

Sandra, maybe you're right. I mean, I've always liked to think of myself as Indiana Jones on a masculine journey.

malwitz said...

wild is also used when categorizing coffee flavors, it means inconsistent and gamey.