Saturday, May 20, 2006

Humility: True Greatness

Okay, after a ridiculous number of sports related posts (at least compared to the number of eternally relevant posts), it's high time I return to bigger and better things. In this case, a book review of sorts.

Back in January, my friend Kurt and I decided to go through a book together. I was really wanting to read a book by C J Mahaney (pastor, author, sports fan) called Humility: True Greatness. I am one of many who struggle with pride (maybe more on that later, we'll see how long this turns out to be) and I thought this book might help me in this area. Kurt was all for it (because he's way more prideful than I am, hehe) and thus began our journey with C J.

First, let me break book review tradition and start with a negative or two. Normally these are saved for later in the review, and then the reviewer ends with something like "these caveats aside, this is a helpful book" or something. I prefer to start low and move high, especially since the lows aren't really all that low. In fact, they're fairly minor.

Actually, there are two Bible related issues I had. One, I disagree with those who read Isaiah 14 as referring to the sin of Satan and his rebellion against God (pg 29-30). I think this is a poor understanding of the poetic nature of the text- it isn't meant to be completely literal (actually, I was surprised to see Mahaney read it in this way). So when Isaiah writes against Babylon, "But you said in your heart, 'I will ascend to heaven, I will raise my throne above the stars of God... I will make myself like the Most High" (vv13-14), he isnt' referring to some fallen angel (Lucifer, as is commonly thought), but is showing the pride of the Babylonians (especially her rulers) in strong, poetic language. Again, this isn't a huge deal or anything, I'm just a little disappointed.

Two, in chapter 6 (entitled As Each Day Ends), he encourages the reader to thank God for the gift of sleep and to see this as another way we depend on God. I love this thought, it is something we overlook. But C J states, "Too many Christians fall asleep night after night without being informed and inspired by what Scripture teaches on it" (pg 83). The problem: Mahaney never tells the reader what the Bible says about sleep. He asks on page 82, "Do you realize how often sleep is referred to in Scripture?" If the reader answers "no", they'll still have to say "no" at the end of the chapter because Mahaney never tells you what Scripture says about it or how often it refers to it. The one Scripture he quotes in regards to sleep is Ps 121:3, which speaks of God as the One who "will neither slumber nor sleep." That's about it. This chapter is good otherwise, it is an excellent example of how practical Mahaney can be. I just wish he would have included more verses.

Now for more of the good stuff. There is very little to dislike about this book, but tons to enjoy. Mahaney is a master at practical outworkings of theology. Whenever I read something by him I keep thinking, "I wish I were that good." He gives practical ways to begin your day (reflecting on the cross, acknowledging your dependence on God, expressing gratitude, etc.). I know Kurt took Mahaney up on his challenge to "seize your commute time to memorize and meditate on Scripture" (pg73) and it has helped him tremedously. I've already noted Mahaney's chapter on how to end one's day, and I hope I don't give the impression I thought the chapter was bad. It is another example of just how practical Mahaney can be, and I find myself taking the opportunity before I go to bed to thank God for another day and to thank Him for the grace bestowed upon me. What a wonderful practice to finish the day with!

His chapters on "Identifying Evidences of Grace" and "Encouraging Others" are especially helpful, particularly for those who are in leadership (but not restricted to them). How many of us find ourselves quick to criticize? If this is the case, well, someone has a pride problem. We need to practice encouraging others and sharing with them the evidences of God's grace that we see in their lives. This is what Mahaney has helped me realize: doing this is an attack on pride. When we practice encouragement, we are attacking the pride within us that spurs us on to be critical. Get into the habit of encouraging others and you'll see how pride is weakened in your heart.

His chapter entitled "Inviting and Pursuing Correction" was especially convicting. Let me quote from page 129:

"If you're in a small group for fellowship and accountability, are you humbly and aggressively participating or merely observing? Are you actually hoping to avoid correction? Do you experience a certain perverse relief when your sin has gone undetected? Are you regularly informing others of your temptations and sins, or do you present to them a carefully edited and flattering version of yourself?"

Ouch. I found myself cringing throughout that paragraph. And notice the two verbs Mahaney uses in the title of this chapter: "invite" and "pursue." These are proactive. It places the onus on us to go after correction and rebuke. It reminds me of my associate pastor, Jeff, who encourages us not to wait until we are asked to confess sin, but to offer up our confession before prompted. I find myself offering "carefully edited" confessions. A true sign of pride.

Finally, let me end with this. One thing I love about Mahaney is that he has no problem calling sin what it is: rebellion against God. Too many people view sin as an unfortunate aspect of humanity, something that we need to work against, but something we need to accept. Mahaney thankfully is willing to see through this error, and this book shows how pride is rebelling against God. "Pride is when sinful human beings aspire to the status and position of God and refuse to acknowledge their dependence on Him" (pg31). He encourages the reader, when recognizing and instince or pride, to confess to the Lord "I was contending for supremacy with You" rather than simply saying "I was proud." This has helped me personally to see what my pride is, a refusal to acknowledge God's rightful place in my life. That is far more convicting than the often ambiguous "pride." I've opted for "Lord, I attempted to steal glory from You" when I am confessing pride. It makes it much harder to breeze past pride when worded that way.

The goal is humility, which Mahaney defines as "honestly assessing ourselves in light of God's holiness and our sinfulness." May we all learn to see ourselves as those undeserving of God's grace and worship Him humbly.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing these insights!!

Anonymous said...

First of all, you get a smirk for reading CJ.

Second of all, I really appreciate your thoughts on this book/topic.

Anonymous said...

It's OK that I was way more prideful because now I'm way more humble. So there.

Nice summary of the last few months of meetings. Thanks for posting that.

danny said...

Kurt, you may have been more humble before this weekend. But now that you are, apparently, so "adorable, cuddly, cuter than everyone else in the room, sweet, and vomit inducing" (okay, the last one was mine), I highly doubt you have maintain your humility level.

When is your review coming out?

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good read. I may have to try and barrow it if I ever can find room to squeeze it in my baby book schedule. You really meant it when you said you weren't coming back to the site aye? Hopefully you've been just not posted. I'm a reader of your blog and I don't really comment so I guess it would be fare. Ice Cream cake YUM!

danny said...

Bruce, I said I was never coming back, right? However, the prospect of ice cream cake might win my heart over. I have been reading, though.