Monday, March 20, 2006

Would you like a blog of danny? The justification of yet another blog.

I suppose there are few things as self-centered as having a blog. And I haven't done a survey, but I would be willing to bet that most blogs are actually quite bad- boring, rambling and pointless. Would I be any different if I had a blog? I doubt it. So why am I joining the fray? Do I have anything distinctive or interesting to offer?

The quick answers: I don't know why I'm starting a blog, and no, I have nothing interesting to offer the blogosphere. So there you go. You can stop reading now.

But, just in case you are still reading, let me offer a poor excuse for a justification of this decision to journey into unchartered territory (for me, that is). You see, I have noticed something disturbing in my life recently. Throughout my life I have always had someone around to discuss my two favorite things: God and sports (in that order, just for the record). My dad and I have spentless countless hours discussing the important questions of life: who is the greatest offensive lineman in NFL history (John Hannah, hands down), has there ever been another athlete who changed his sport like Bobby Orr (absolutely not), and so on.

In seminary I had numerous friends to discuss theology, commentaries, missions, etc., whenever I wanted (believe me, seminary students love to hear themselves talk). Whenever I wanted to discuss the pros and cons of molinism (which I never understood anyway), argue various millenial views or dream big deams about ministry, all I had to do was open my door (or go to Dunkin' Donuts).

But now, I find myself without anyone to fill these roles. Obviously there are still friends with whom I can talk about the Red Sox, and I have plenty of folks around me who love the Lord with all their hearts. But I just don't have the sports geeks and Bible geeks around me like I always have. None of my friends care about who the most underrated catcher in baseball history is (Bill Dickey), and few care about Greek participles or the Dead Sea Scrolls. This doesn't mean there's something wrong with my friends, just the opposite. It means I'm weird, simple as that. My mind dwells on different things. And for the record, I don't think for one second that my Christian friends are somehow less-Christian because they don't like to talk about the Bible in the way I do. We all process things in different ways, my way just happens to be in that wannabe-theologian style.

So this blog exists because my brain needs to get some stuff out. Chances are there won't be too many people who fit the niche of "Bible/sports geek." That's fine, but I hope somebody reads this stuff anyway. Hopefully I'll hit something you like along the way.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Hey, no fair! You beat me to it.

I personally am pretty excited about this blog. I'm only a geek wanna-be, but you're the real deal; I always needed my geek friends at school to be smart around me, so it would rub off on me. So I'm looking forward to you writing about hermeneutics and original languages and theological fine points, as it will provide good food for thought for me, even if I don't agree with you (but wait, when do I ever not agree with you...?).

Bring it on, Danny!

danny said...

Wait, you mean you aren't excited about my sports discussions? I'm shocked!